1-year-old baby died of lead poisoning after eating canned food 5 major sources of lead, hidden by your side

time:2022-12-02 06:09:25source:monlittlebaby.com author:Emergency treatment
1-year-old baby died of lead poisoning after eating canned food 5 major sources of lead, hidden by your side

A 1-year-old baby died of lead poisoning after being fed lead-packed cans. Not only that, but 5 children in Shenzhen were found to have serious lead levels because they took milk powder prepared by a herbal tea shop. Lead is a ubiquitous heavy metal that has no physiological role in the human body, so the normal blood lead level should be zero. Lead poisoning is defined as lead poisoning when the blood concentration of lead exceeds 100µg/L. The main hazard of lead poisoning is to affect intellectual development and cause cognitive impairment. At the same time, it affects the normal development of the human body, resulting in anemia, decreased auditory perception, lead poisoning nephropathy, and digestive system disorders. WHO advises: An estimated 600,000 new cases of intellectual disability in children are caused by exposure to lead every year. And these lead, usually through daily diet, breathing lead-containing air, contact with lead-containing items, etc., lead to the body's absorption of lead, increasing the lead content in the body. At present, the recognized sources of lead pollution mainly include leaded gasoline, canned food, leaded paints and coatings, ceramic glazes, drinking water piping systems, and folk remedies. In addition, cosmetics, children's toys, painting pigments, dust, etc. also contain lead. Element. Statistics show that a large number of houses in the United States contain lead paint. In a national housing survey conducted in 2011, an estimated 37 million (35 percent) of the 106 million homes contained lead paint. Lead paint is a major source of lead, and ingestion of lead-contaminated indoor dust and residential soil is a major route of lead exposure. The survey on lead poisoning in my country shows that the high risk factors of lead poisoning in children are bad living habits, such as touching everywhere, not washing hands after playing games, sucking fingers, biting pencils, etc., and often eating puffed food; passive smoking; Too much time on the road absorbs air pollution, etc. Then there are the folk remedies that people believe contain a lot of lead.

So, how can you prevent lead poisoning in your child?

The key to preventing lead poisoning is to identify and eliminate the source of lead exposure. Avoid lead exposure in the first place. Pay attention to personal hygiene, wash hands frequently, and trim nails regularly; eat less lead canned food and puffed food; buy tableware and school utensils for children through formal channels, and do not need bright colors; remind children not to bite building blocks, pencils and other surfaces with paint If the drinking water pipeline is aging, first drain the water stored in the water pipe and then use it for food; mothers of lactating and preschool children, try to avoid using whitening skin care products to prevent children from absorbing through skin contact; do not give children casually Eat folk remedies. Second, stay away from lead pollution sources. Try to avoid playing on the road for a long time; stay away from abandoned houses and construction sites; stay away from factories that emit lead pollutants; use environmentally friendly materials for home decoration, etc. Pregnant mothers should supplement calcium to effectively reduce the release of bone lead; supplement vitamin E, C, B6, carotene, zinc and selenium, quit smoking, and improve eating habits, which can effectively prevent lead poisoning.

Early detection, early treatment

In addition to prevention, pay more attention to the daily reaction of children. Once lead poisoning is found, go to a regular hospital for treatment. Early symptoms of lead poisoning are divided into acute lead poisoning and non-specific symptoms. Patients with acute poisoning will have symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, convulsions, and unconsciousness; , fatigue, hallucinations, delusions, irritability, etc. in severe cases; occupational lead poisoning is mostly chronic poisoning, and the typical manifestations are abdominal cramps, toxic encephalopathy, peripheral neuritis, etc. The most accurate way to judge whether a child is lead poisoning is to regularly check the blood lead concentration and the urine lead concentration. Any of the above phenomena should be highly regarded, seek medical attention in time, and actively cooperate with the doctor for treatment. In addition, improve the dietary structure and eat more foods rich in calcium, iron and zinc: such as milk, sesame, cheese, soy milk, pork, beef, chicken and duck blood, animal offal, peanuts, etc. At the same time eat more fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, drink plenty of water to promote lead excretion. In short, lead poisoning in children should not be underestimated. Parents should learn more about lead poisoning, prevent it scientifically, stay away from lead pollution sources, avoid contact with lead-containing foods and items, guide children to develop good hygiene habits, stay away from lead, and let children grow up healthily.
Related content